List etiquette question

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Nov 18 23:59:22 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 19.11.2004 schrieb John Burton um 0:45:

> the communication clearer. If you can see the intent of the message when
> you open it, great (significant trimming, bottom posting, insertions,
> etc). If you have to scroll through endless pages of untrimmed posting
> just to get to a 1 line "I agree", or "Good Point", or even "Oops, the
> correct URL is..." then perhaps bottom posting is not the way to go.

> John

And exactly that is an imminent point of critics: with top-posting
people think they do not need to trim their quotes. It is often enough a
pain to get 1 line added by top-posting and then have to go through a
hundreds of lines of previous postings to see to which part it the
comment fits.
As you vote so clearly for communication aspects, then I guess you can
agree such posting style is contra-productive.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 00:58:31 up 1 day, 2:44, load average: 0.35, 0.48, 0.62