IBM xSeries 206 SATA HOSTRAID doesn't work with FC3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Nov 19 00:53:37 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 19.11.2004 schrieb Marco Fischer um 1:30:

> I tried to install FC3 on an IBM xSeries 206 Server with two SATA harddisks
> configured as RAID 1. There is one logical volume which covers the whole
> capacity. The setup does not recognize the logical raid volume, IT RECOVERS
> THE SINGLE HARDDISKS.

This is as it is "fake" RAID, or like IBM calls it "Entry-level software
RAID via system SATA controller, embedded in system BIOS".

> I think, the Kernel has not the right modules for this controller. I think
> the module is "AAICH". There are disk-images with a driver module on the IBM
> website, but only for SuSE 9.0, RH 9.0 and RH Enterprise Linuxes.

Others know that situation too, where no open source drivers exist.

> I don't want such crap on my linux box! I want FC3!

What is "crap"? RHEL? (Btw. that is some kind of little child
behaviour.)

> Is there anybody which runs a 206 with a raid under FC?

> Best regards Marco

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 01:52:20 up 1 day, 3:38, load average: 0.53, 0.46, 0.45