USB Sound just stops working after a while.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Fri Nov 19 04:50:19 UTC 2004

I have a creative USB sound card attached and it will just stop
producing any sound after a few hours. It's intermittent and I can't
seem to reliably replicate. Ohh, the headphones are plugged in ;)

Loaded modules :

snd_usb_audio          59809  3
snd_pcm_oss            47609  0
snd_mixer_oss          17216  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                97993  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              29765  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          9673  1 snd_pcm
snd_usb_lib            12097  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            26725  1 snd_usb_lib
snd_seq_device          8137  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    54053  11 snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore               9889  2 snd

When the sound plays the light on the box flashes indicating there is
something being sent by no sound. Reinitialization ( unplugging and
plugging in again ) will solve the problem and bring sound back to life
but the PS/2 keyboard ceases to operated thus requiring a reboot. The
reboot also solved the sound problem.

Any tips for diagnosing this? I've checked bugzilla and can't seem to
find a matching bug.