Network Connection Resets (SSH)

Frank Pineau frank at pineaus.com
Fri Nov 19 15:02:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 22:43 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Friday 19 November 2004 22:19, Frank Pineau wrote:
> > I doubt this is your problem, but at work, I go through firewalls that
> > use connection timeouts.  Any idle connection would timeout after two
> > hours.  Here's a patch that will add a heartbeat to ssh.  Works pretty
> > well for me.
> >
> I had that problem, and found a keepalive thingy to set in ssh config.
>
> Then I found openvpn and now the whole work LAN is on my LAN.

Yeah, that'd be nice too, except I'm in the field more often than not
and getting a VPN connection through a NAT/PAT firewall is dicey at
best.  Even worse when it's never the same firewall two days in a row.
I find it's easier to just tunnel the ports I need over SSH.  As soon as
my network comes up, the tunnels get created and I never even have to
think about it.

--
Be big.  Be meaty.  Be Frank.