HELP: FC2 and Dell TrueMobile 1150 wifi card

Curt Goff cgofftn at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 19 15:21:41 UTC 2004

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with internal ethernet and I have added a Dell Truemobile 1150 wifi card.  I got this card working under RedHat 9 and it continued to work through upgrades to FC1 and FC2.  I recently did a clean install of FC2 and now I can't get it to work.

This card uses the orinoco_cs driver.  In the FC2 Network Configuration tool it is identified as a Intersil PRISM2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter.  I don't use DHCP.  After I go through the set-up process and save the configuration and try to activate the card I get the following message:

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; invalid argument.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I am using the latest kernel: 2.6.9-1.3_FC2.  I have the same problem when using the previous kernel: 2.6.5-1.358.

I've gone so far as to see if commenting out 'alias eth1 orinoco_cs' in modprobe.conf would help.  No go.  I've also noticed that upon rebooting a second copy of eth1: eth1Copy0 is added in the Network Configuration tool and both copies of eth1 are shown as 'Active' even though I have set 'ONBOOT=no' in ifcfg-eth1.

After every little tweak I still get the error message above everytime I try ifup eth1.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Curt Goff