List etiquette question

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 19 18:54:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, John Burton wrote:

> *Requiring* people to "trim" and "bottom-post" before you respond to
> them is a bit like *requiring* them to get a sheet of parchment and
> India ink and write it out long hand. You can do it if you want, but
> you risk being viewed as intolerant and focused on "form" over
> "content".

i see.  so requiring people to take the time to be courteous and
efficient in their communication before you *volunteer* your non-paid
time to help them out of the goodness of your heart is "intolerant"?
don't tell me, let me guess.  you're a republican.

> And before you get out your flame throwers and flame me as a newbie,
> I've been dealing with e-mail, mailing lists and newsgroups since
> before USENET & ARPA.NET were developed, back in the bbs & uucp
> days...

and in all that time, you've apparently learned nothing.  damned
shame, that.

rday