hack attempt on my server...What do you do about this?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 13:15:17 UTC 2004

John Dangler wrote:

>Clifford~
>Thanks for the reply.
>rpm-qa|grep logwatch reveals:
>logwatch-5.1.3
>
>I haven't started looking at the 'root' mail yet, since I haven't figured a
>way to get the email client to read the root from the local system.
>I did find the man page on logwatch and am reading up on it.
>
>Thanks for the tip!

If you are doing any kind of sys admin work make sure you read your root
mail on a daily basis. I recommend mutt to do this. alternatively
logwatch and programs like those have a configuration setting to mail
the logs into any arbitrary email id. set those and read your mail on a
regular basis
regards
Rahul Sundaram