pppd on-demand wakes for no reason.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Nov 20 01:52:40 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 20.11.2004 schrieb Bill Somerville um 2:12:

> Thanks for that. Got to the bottom of this with logging on nameserver.
> It appears that ssh tries IPv6 as well as IPv4 and the AAAA lookup is
> being forwarded by our local nameserver, hence the wake up of pppd.
>
> I know that I can rebuild ssh so that it only tries IPv4. But is there
> an easy way of setting up the local nameserver so that it doesn't
> forward the AAAA lookup?

> Bill Somerville

Do you use IPv6? Maybe not. The only possibility to prevent IPv6 queries
is to disable IPv6 on the participant hosts. You can do so by adding

install ipv6 /bin/true

to the /etc/modprobe.conf.

As an alternate

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

are valid entries too. The quickest way would be a reboot to prevent the
module loading, as unloading the ipv6 module is not that easy due to
dependencies by other modules.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:51:37 up 23:32, 16 users, 0.36, 0.91, 1.08