[OT] General port forwarding/ssh question

P Jones mail4xxxx at imap.cc
Sat Nov 20 03:20:58 UTC 2004

OK, this is what I do now, followed by what I would like to do; I
forward ports 80, 25, and 119 on my local server to a remote proxy (a
machine in another part of the country) using ssh. The setup in my
client is to send email to localhost, where it is forwarded by ssh to
the remote proxy. The problem is that in order for this to work I have
to disable sendmail, which means I don't get any logwatch reports in my
root mail. Not sure if what I'm doing makes an sense, it just happens to
work and so it's what I do.

What I'd like is to be able to have both sendmail and my ssh port
forwarding work. I haven't the foggiest idea how to do it. Could I get
sendmail to route mail destined for outside the local network to port 25
which is then forwarded to the proxy, and route local mail to the local
address? Any ideas?

Thanks,

-P