Distribution method - could there be a better way?

Tom and Esther Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 20 07:49:18 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hemdal" <ehemdal at townisp.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: Distribution method - could there be a better way?

> This works nicely if you have an Internet connection that you can
> dedicate for an installation.  I discovered that Windows XP does this on
> a fresh installation from CD.  It was neat to see the installer skip the
> old bits in the CAB and get updated drivers over the network.
>
> But if I had a slow connection, I think this would prevent me from
> installing Fedora.  There's something to be said for having a set of CDs
> or a DVD that one can use to install or reinstall without any "outside
> help".
>
> Call me old fashioned, but I like the security of having physical media
> around for when things go very wrong.   Erik

Another point for having physical media is installing Fedora on more than
one computer. I do have a desktop duel boot Fedora/Windows and I have a
laptop running Fedora.
I don't generally connect my laptop to the internet and use basically what
is on the original media unless there is updates that I absolutely need.
Which in alot of cases does not happen because it does not run any server
services like apache, sendmail,  postfix, etc and is used as a simple
desktop operating system for Office work, reading notes while traveling, and
things like that.
I would hate to have to do a internet install on not one but two computers
on a dial up connection. Especially, in the case of the notebook which many
of the security updates do not always apply to me personally.