Server Tools Don't Prompt for Root Password

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 17:19:03 UTC 2004

Randy Chrismon wrote:
> Sorry, should have been clearer. The System Tools are the ones off the
> KDE or Gnome menu -- you know, clicking on the Red Hat button. Included
> are the Network Device Control, Printing Configuration, things like
> that. Of course, I can start  many of them by going to su and typing the
> command at the shell prompt but it was far more convenient to click on
> the menu item and be prompted for the su password.
> Thanks.
> Randy

Network Device Control from the 'System Tools' menu does not ask for the
password, so you're essentially loading it just as a user, whereas if you
go to 'System Settings' and load 'Network' then it asks for the password
and you can use it as root.

Sharon.
--
 17:16:49 up 3 days,  2:55,  1 user,  load average: 1.40, 1.29, 1.23
Linux is like a wigwam, no windows, no gates, apache inside.