FC3: "No soundcards detected"

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Sat Nov 20 21:07:36 UTC 2004

Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone has experienced problems playing sounds under FC3. I
> did a clean intall of FC3 on a Dell Precision 410 Workstation (P-III
> 450MHz). According to the specs, it has an Intel 440 BX chipset with a
> 16 bit PnP Crystal 3D CS4237B audio controller (my guess is it's onboard).
>
> During the installation or startup, I don't get any messages, but I just
> don't get any sound. I've already tried adjusting all the volumes and,
> when I use the soundcard detection utility ("system-config-soundcard") I
> get the message "No soundcards detected". It seems as if Linux just
> doesn't detect my soundcard.
>
> Did anyone experience similar problems before? Is there a solution for
> it already?
>
> Thanks,

Yup, I see much the same thing.  I have an IBM Aptiva of similar vintage
(P3-400) that since FC2 doesn't have sound (FC1 was fine).  Kudzu
located a sound card and the hardware browser says it sees a "Onboard
PnP Audio - CSC0100" using driver snd-cs4236.  In spite of that I don't
get any sound and as with you the sound card detection program says it
can't find a sound card.

I don't know of any solution and this machine is up to date.

Mike