rpm files on firefox/FC3

Emily Brantley located at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 20 21:29:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 12:51 -0800, Globe Trotter wrote:
> I have a strange problem -- when i click to download RPM files, instead of
> going to install package, I get the Realplayer all going....anyone know how to
> work around this, beyond saving the file and installing?
>
> Thanks and best wishes!

> http://mail.yahoo.com

this happens only with some servers.  the problem is that particular
server hasn't sent the right content-type header during the HTTP
session.  given an RPM package to send, an unaware web server can only
guess at what an RPM is, and if it doesn't know about Red Hat, it
guesses it's a Real Player Media file and tells your browser so (using
the MIME type "audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin").

it's really just a matter of adding a single directive ("AddType
application/octet-stream .rpm") to either the global config file
httpd.conf or to .htaccess in the same directory as the packages.  (this
all assumes apache as the web server.)  try contacting the webmaster of
the server you got the package from and informing them about this.

(sometimes servers are configured to give the MIME type "application/x-
redhat-package-manager" or "application/x-rpm", and while browsers
usually don't know what that means, they just treat it as an octet-
stream (unknown binary) and download it as such.  i suggest the generic
octet-stream because it's official, but using one of the unofficial
types will let browsers tell it apart from other types (so they can know
to run "Install Package" on it))
--
Emily Brantley <located at bellsouth.net>