cdrecord problems

Andrew Smith rhml2 at k1k2.com
Sat Nov 20 22:55:37 UTC 2004

Randy Kelsoe said:
> Andrew Smith wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>got two problems with cdrecord on fc2 and noone seems to have
>>mentioned them here or in bugzilla so I'm wondering what's wrong ...
>>
>>Firstly,
>>if I write a 9 second blank wave file twice onto a blank CD with
>>the following command:
>>
>># cdrecord -eject -v dev=/dev/cdrom -speed=4 -pad -audio -tao blank9.wav
>>blank9.wav
>>
>>What I get is a 9 second blank track followed but a 9 second 'almost'
>>blank track
>>The problem is that there is a very loud click at the end of the last
>>track (and there always is not matter what is in the wave file)
>>Maybe the fixating code has a bug?
>>
>>Config info:
>>CPU: AthlonXP 2400+ (2.0Ghz)
>>kernel = 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 (i686)
>>cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1  AND  cdrecord-2.01.1-0.FC2.1
>>motherboard = ASRock K7S41GX
# cat /proc/ide/hdc/model
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW DRIVE SW-252F

> I have seen something similar with k3b and cdrecord.  It was working
> fine until sometime recently (perhaps after I upgraded cdrtools?). Data
> cd's are being burned without a problem. I went to burn an audio cd with
> cd-text, and went I went to listen to it, it was just a pattern of
> noises. I tried again and had the same results. I do not have
> cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1 installed, just cdrecord-2.01.1-0.FC2.1:
>
> # cdrecord --version
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> this version.
>

>>Secondly,
>>if I write a CD with a second computer that is an Athlon64 then
>>the CD is just full or noise not the original audio
>>(same command as above with one or more wave files)
>>The writer was in the other PC for a long time and didn't have
>>this problem until if moved to the newer PC
>>
>>Config info:
>>CPU: Athlon64 3000+ (2.0Ghz)
>>kernel = 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 (i686)
>>cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1  AND  cdrecord-2.01.1-0.FC2.1
# cat /proc/ide/hdd/model
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

> Seeing the same thing with an Athlon XP 2800 and a PlexWriter CD-RW. Why
> do you have two versions of cdrecord install?

I only have one version installed - I've tried it with both versions
though. Luckily CD-R's are cheap - I've thrown away lots of them
My solution until recently was to use an old RH9 box with
cdrecord-2.0-11.9.1
but that gets a lot of SCSI errors so I throw away a lot of CD-R's
there also

I guess I need to file a bugzilla ...

-Cheers
-Andrew