USB Drive named NO_NAME?

Emily Brantley located at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 20 23:13:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 18:01 -0500, John Cox wrote:
> I just did a clean install of FC3 on my Compaq 2100 laptop. The
> install was so smooth.
> There is this one minor item which is likely due to my lack of
> understanding of udev. My USB drive is named NO_NAME now. How do I
> change this? I don't understand how this works now.  This is from my
> fstab:
>
> /dev/sda1    /media/NO_NAME1  vfat    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
> I tried to edit the name in fstab but that had no effect.
>
> John

fstab in fc3 is managed by fstab-sync.  don't mess with that, it's not
meant for users to use.  haldaemon in turn manages devices and uses
fstab-sync to update what's mounted and what it's called.  anything with
the "managed" keyword was put there by fstab-sync and it will be removed
and replaced next time haldaemon decides it wants to.  (like on reboot)

haldaemon is what's naming it that.  /usr/share/hal/fdi contains XML
files with rules on how haldaemon does whatever it does.  this gets into
the whole freedesktop thing (dbus, udev, hald, etc etc) and it can get
really complicated, so just be warned.  there aren't many good frontends
for managing these things yet (the only nascent GUI app i can see is
"hal-device-manager" (which is SO SO SO good, everybody should know
about it) and its CLI analogue is "lshal" (redirect, pipe, or grep the
output, there's a LOT)

--
Emily Brantley <located at bellsouth.net>