FC3 not detecting my Canon Powershot A60 camera

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Sun Nov 21 03:09:35 UTC 2004

When I hook up my Canon Powershot A60, nothing seems to happen on my
Fedora Core 3 system.  Nothing new shows up in dmesg, and nothing new
shows up in lsusb -v.

I googled for a while, and also looked at an archive I keep of the last
3 months of fedora-list, but neither turned up a solution.

I tried to auto detect with both gphoto2 and gThumb, and neither could
find the camera.

I tried to manually specify the camera type with both gphoto2 (PTP only)
and gThumb (PTP and Native), and still, neither could see the camera.

As an example of the kind of errors I'm getting, when I attempt to use
gThumb with a Native A60 config manually specified, I get:

An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find
USB device (vendor 0x4a9, product 0x3074). Make sure this device is
connected to the computer.

I tried turning the camera off and back on.  I also tried disconnecting
the USB cable and plugging it back in - at both ends.  :)  Neither got a
peep out of dmesg nor lsusb -v.

gphoto2 used to work with the camera well, under Fedora Core 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Is there perhaps something I
need to modprobe?

Thanks!