OT: Power Supplies

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 21 03:14:13 UTC 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 02:54, RoboticGolem wrote:
> Well that settles that.  I ran all day yesterday with no problems...
> The memtest ran from 9pm - 1pm with no errors, but at about 7:30pm
> last night when the washer and dryer were going that it started up
> again.  Also there is a garage band that plays now and again, and I am
> located (I believe) on the same grid as a football stadium.
>
> Now the real trick, which one do I get.

APC and Sola (AKA Best) are well-regarded. I bought an old UPS att auction fo
around $AU50; all it needed was a new set of batteirs.

It's rated at 1500VA, can tolerate a lot undervoltage and keep running.
Mine's Victron and jusging from info I've googled on it it is a good one,
though I'd not previously heard of it.

You do want one with good electronis; most outages are just a few seconds, and
if the power is off there's a fair chance you have other things on your min
than using the computer.

OTOH you do want it to maintain power while the rock concert's on at the
stadium. Minne will do that pretty well indefinitely.

--
Cheers
John