imap

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Sun Nov 21 03:43:29 UTC 2004

Quoting John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:01:13

> I've just discovered in the paat day or so that kmail can't filter my mail.
>
> Consequenly, I won't be using it for long.

Cyrus comes with sieve server.  Sieve is a standard daemon for server-side email
filtering.  Something like procmail, however users don't need to have accounts
and shell access to email server, as is usually case with procmail
installations.  There are several web based GUIs for managing sieve filters.
Not as powerfull as procmail, but much easier to use (once you get one of web
based GUIs up and running).

That way you have email filtering centralized (it is part of IMAP server).  You
don't need any support for it in email clients.  And there is no more tedious
job of synchronizing your email filters on each and every box you use to read
your email.  Not to mention avoiding tedious job of making them work the same in
different email clients.  Maybe your kmail will avoid early retirement, eh ;-)