List etiquette question

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sun Nov 21 05:07:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 02:12:15PM -0500, ghod wrote:
> Ed Wilts, RHCE wrote:
> > On 11/20/2004 09:58 AM, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> >> As a suggestion for the future, please do not post in HTML to this list.
> >
> > The simplest way to train the HTML users is to ignore any HTML
> > posting.  There are so many questions to so many lists that we all
> > have to choose which to respond to and which to ignore.  Ignore the
> > HTML ones and eventually they'll get the message.

> That's not training that RUDE
> I simply made a simple error when tryingto reply on my winBLOWS account
> so SUE me, I'm working on fixing a ISP provider error on my unix account

Welcome to your new online community.  It, like all communities has
its own standards of behavior.  See section nine from the
"RedHat Install List (RHIL) Unofficial User's Guide"

9.    Community Standards

Occasionally folks in the list will ask others to post email in a
certain way, like this guide is doing. Here's why:

This is a quote from Eric Raymond and Rick Moen's paper on "How to ask
for help the smart way":

"Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're maintained by
people actively applying them, visibly, in public. Don't whine that all
criticism should have been conveyed via private mail: That's not how it
works. Nor is it useful to insist you've been personally insulted when
someone comments that one of your claims was wrong, or that his views
differ. Those are loser attitudes."

The latest version of this paper can be found here:

Linux/Open Source.  Your base belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/
http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/2763</a>

~
~