Issue with removing (disabling) a sound chip

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Nov 21 07:26:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 01:05 -0500, Jonathan Claggett wrote:
> Hi, I've recently attempted to disable a built in sound chip from a
> Fedora Core 3 computer and I ran into several issues which I believe
> stem back to the Alsa drivers. The reason for disabling the sound chip,
> BTW, was that I already had a Sound Blaster Live sound card that I
> wanted to use. The order of events are:
>
> 1. Disabled the VIA sound chip from the bios and booted up the machine.
> 2. Kudzu notified me of the missing sound card and I told it to remove
> its configuration and the boot up continued normally.
> 3. Attempted to login using the default Gnome desktop. All that appeared
> was the Fedora Splash screen but none of the launch icons appeared on
> that screen. The login process appeared to hang at this point.
> 4. Restarted X and logged in using the XFCE desktop and used the
> system-config-soundcard program to confirm that only one sound card was
> present and that the test sound was working (it was).
> 5. Attempted play a song from rhythmbox but was given a dialog message
> stating that 'Alsa device "default" does not exist'. No music files work.
> 6. Tuxracer does find the sound card, however.
>
> I'd also add that re-enabling the soundcard just confused the
> system-config-soundcard program by displaying both soundcards but mixing
> up the two (e.g., playing the test sound for the built in soundcard
> actually delivered the sample to the SB Live card).
>
> My question at this point is: what the best way to clean out the
> apparently messed up alsa configuration files and/or trick FC3 into
> treating the system as if the built in sound card was never there?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Jonathan
>
> PS Should I file this issue as a bug report?

1. delete all soundcard related entries from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf

2. delete all sound related entries from /etc/modprobe.conf

3. shutdown and disable the onboard sound in BIOS.  I have seem boards
where this was in 2 locations in bios so check and do whatever is
needed.

4. reboot and allow kudzu to configure the "new" soundcard it sees.

5. follow all the steps that have been noted here many times for
configuring the sound/volume controls.

HTH
This will start from scratch as far as kudzu and the sound modules are
concerned.

It sounds like the drivers for both sound cards likely conflicted during
boot.