reexecuting prelink

William Lovaton walovaton at yahoo.com.mx
Sat Nov 20 17:05:01 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I installed FC3 a few days ago and I'm very happy to see all the
improvements.

About after an hour of my first boot I noticed a proccess in background
taking up the CPU for a long time.  It was 'prelink' (via crond??).
Checking the man page says that it prelinks all the binary libraries and
programs for faster startup times and lower memory consumption.  It
worked really nice.

It also says that it should be executed again if a program or library
has been updated (yum, apt?) or else it will use the traditional linking
again slowing down startup speed.

Does that mean that after a big update I should run it again??  What can
I do to relaunch that job? (I dont remember the parameters).  Is that in
cron or something??

Thanx,

-William