FC3 not detecting my Canon Powershot A60 camera

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 16:43:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:10:10 -0500, fredex
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 07:09:35PM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> >
> > When I hook up my Canon Powershot A60, nothing seems to happen on my
> > Fedora Core 3 system.  Nothing new shows up in dmesg, and nothing new
> > shows up in lsusb -v.
>
> There are NO new entries in /var/log/messages when you plug in /turn on
> the camera? Try doing "less /var/log/messages" in a window, then entring
> the command "F" without the quotes in that window, so less will show new
> entries as they are added to the file. Then as you play with the camera
> you will be able to see what's happening. then see if the info below will
> help you any.
>
> I don't have a Canon (it's a new Kodak, just a couple of days ago),
> but here's what I saw in /var/log/messages when the camera was turned
> on when I first tried it:
>
>         Nov 19 19:07:02 fcshome kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x40a/0x57d) is not claimed by any active driver.
>         Nov 19 19:07:05 fcshome /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB product 40a/57d/100
>
> Then after configuring the hotplug mechanism I get this:
>
>         Nov 20 16:16:09 fcshome kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-3, assigned address 17
>         Nov 20 16:16:09 fcshome kernel: usb.c: USB device 17 (vend/prod 0x40a/0x57d) is not claimed by any active driver.
>         Nov 20 16:16:12 fcshome /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usbcam for USB product 40a/57d/100
>         Nov 20 16:16:12 fcshome /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Module setup usbcam for USB product 40a/57d/100
>         Nov 20 16:16:18 fcshome devlabel: devlabel service started/restarted
>
> Also, I'm not running Fedora (TaoLinux), so YMMV.
>
> Instructions for setting up hotplug to work with a camera can be found at:
>
>         http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html
>
> In addition, I had to install the latest gphoto2, libgphoto2, gtkam
> packages. Hopefully FC3 will already have those.
>
> Good luck!
>

> > I googled for a while, and also looked at an archive I keep of the last
> > 3 months of fedora-list, but neither turned up a solution.
> >
> > I tried to auto detect with both gphoto2 and gThumb, and neither could
> > find the camera.
> >
> > I tried to manually specify the camera type with both gphoto2 (PTP only)
> > and gThumb (PTP and Native), and still, neither could see the camera.
> >
> > As an example of the kind of errors I'm getting, when I attempt to use
> > gThumb with a Native A60 config manually specified, I get:
> >
> > An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find
> > USB device (vendor 0x4a9, product 0x3074). Make sure this device is
> > connected to the computer.
> >
> > I tried turning the camera off and back on.  I also tried disconnecting
> > the USB cable and plugging it back in - at both ends.  :)  Neither got a
> > peep out of dmesg nor lsusb -v.
> >
> > gphoto2 used to work with the camera well, under Fedora Core 2.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Is there perhaps something I
> > need to modprobe?

> [...]

I haven't been able to do the direct connect thing with my powershot
either, I have an s400.  Pulled my hair out a while back with FC1 and
I had hoped 3 would be differrent but no.  I do not get anything in
var/log/messages that is related whatsoever.   Also I am running kde.

I don't think I have everything I need, app wise but I am having so
much trouble with yum trying to get what I need, it basically dies
every time I do anything other than yum update as a whole.  Tried to
load all 3 of those apps but it died on me.

(if my 6 mo old son willl  let me type...)                   I did go
 into the control center, it gives me an error but that  is all.  I am
wondering if we could run the windoze drivers over wine but that would
be pretty ugly allright.  I got around this by getting a universal
card reader so it will see the medium regardless, so in my case its
not a big deal.

HTH\\
z]\

Marc