clamassassin with call to clamav software corrupts mail messages

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Nov 21 17:59:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 09:02 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Jeff Vian writes:
>
> > IMAP and POP3 do not actually do a delete on the server when a session
> > is still in progress.  Having fetchmail terminate the session and start
> > a new one will trigger the delete on the server for those messages you
> > already have seen.
>
> No it won't.
>
> POP3 servers will only delete messages if the POP3 session terminates
> normally.  The POP3 protocol explicitly specifies that no messages are to be
> deleted if the POP3 session terminates due to any error, or if the client
> disconnects the connection abnormally.
>
> Similarly, IMAP requires an explicit command to delete messages from a
> folder.  No messages will be deleted if the IMAP client disconnects from the
> server abnormally.

EXACTLY my point.

I suggested he have fetchmail terminate the session after N messages
were retrieved.  Thus a graceful end and the delete can take place. At
present it seems fetchmail is timing out and not doing a clean stop of
the session.

If fetchmail terminates the session instead of timing out then the
delete will occur and his problem with duplicate messages will be
solved.

Ergo, my suggestion should work.