List etiquette question

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Sun Nov 21 18:24:19 UTC 2004

> It is not some group of people attempting to establish a custom.  The
> custom was established in the very early days of Internet (you know,
> Internet and email existed long time before term "the web" was
> invented).  Basically, that "group of people" is just trying to defend
> something good.

The custom seems to have been redefined in recent years to the
simplified form you mention. As I remember the custom it was that inline
replies should be under the text they are in response to. Usually these
inline replies are best. Replies to the entire message or changing the
direction of the thread should be top posted. In general large chunks of
disconnected text should not be bottom posted as they require you to
scroll through crap you've already read. Better yet do it right and do
inline responses. :)

> Interesting statistical note:  Most people that ask questions are
> top-posters.  Most people who give good answers are bottom-posters.
> Tells something ;-)

Is that like "97% of statistics are made up on the spot."? Or "97% of
people who participate in a list etiquette discussion have boring jobs."?

--
Michael <mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu>
http://kavlon.org