Checking Ink Levels

Patrick Ryan Vinson pvinson at fit.edu
Mon Nov 22 01:15:12 UTC 2004

Hello Everybody,

I've been using Linux for quite sometime now and I just realized that I
haven't the slightest clue on how to check the ink levels for my
printer.  I agree it is kinda sad considering that I've been using some
form of Linux since Red Hat 5.2 was released.  Not sure of exact time
frame; however, since 5.2 was my first dive into the Linux world you all
should get a good idea of how long I've been using it.

I don't think I ever really bothered to figure out how to check the ink
levels since I always have a backup set of int cartridges.  When ever
the ink would run out I would just replace it.  So, out of curiosity how
does one check their ink levels for their printer?  I looked around on
the CUPS web interface and didn't find anything.  Did a search for it
under google and I did find some separate command line tools to download
that would check the ink levels.  I could fall to doing these; however,
I do feel that CUPS' web interface should provide information like that.
Are there any plugins for the interface?  If it helps, my printer is an
Epson Stylus C82.

- Patrick Vinson