FC3 disc1 has error - md5sum is correct

Jack Holden jeholden-linux at starband.net
Mon Nov 22 02:29:46 UTC 2004

Shaffer Paul wrote:
> Yes, it would probably be helpful to note this all-too-common pitfall applies to the IDE CDROMs, istead of simply saying "mediacheck is broke, check the archives."
>
> Has anyone has this problem with SCSI?  My SCSI CDROM drives on three different controllers have all passed discs with mediacheck, no prob.
>
> v/r

I have a SCSI CD-ROM (Toshiba SDM-1702) connected to an Adaptec 19160
Ultra 160 SCSI Host Adapter.  I had trouble getting MediaCheck to work
with isos that passed the MD5 check.  However, I was able to finally get
all 5 CDs to pass the MediaCheck.  (I was unaware of the FC3 problem, so
I just kept burning more discs.)  Now I don't know if those first discs
had errors or not...  The potentially bad CDs were burned in Linux with
cdrecord.  The good ones were burned in XP with Roxio.

During package installation, I received an error.  I don't remember it
exactly.  It was something along the lines of "Unable to read CD".  I
hit <Retry> and the install completed without incident.  Since UDMA is
not (AFAIK) used with SCSI devices, I don't know if this is related.  I
also don't know if I should be concerned about having a bad
installation.  So far everything works fine, but it is a desktop system,
and I'm not using everything that was installed.

In any event, I thought I'd post since Paul asked about SCSI CD-ROMs...

- Jack Holden