do I need SELinux?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 03:34:38 UTC 2004

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Steven Stern wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:49:39 -0500, Jim Cornette
>>> <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com>

>>> I  have the same issue on the upgraded machine. OTOH, I installed FC3
>>> on a
>>> brand new Compaq yesterday. SELinux seems to be working and happy.
>>>

>> I never had SELinux installed on this computer before. I remember
>> downloading a host of programs and dropping to a shell, then
>> performing the fixfiles relabel, which did restore my computer to a
>> usable SELinux state.
>>
>> What surprised me is that neither installing selinux-policy-targeted
>> or selinux-policy-strict pulled in any needed dep for selinux to
>> include the fixfiles utility. The below listed are all that ended up
>> being installed. I'll have to search the SELinux list archivs for the
>> list of programs that contain fixfiles.
>>
>> selinux-policy-targeted-1.17.31-1
>> libselinux-1.19.1-3
>> selinux-policy-strict-1.17.30-2
>>
>> Running in permissive because of the missing fixfiles and no logs or
>> httpd specific corrections.
>>
>> Jim
>

> Fixfiles is part of policycoreutils which is required by policy source
> packages  but not the regular policy package in FC3.
> I will add policycoreutils as a required part of the policy rpms, this
> will force it to be pulled in, since not having the tools to
> relabel makes the policy file pretty useless.
>
> Dan

Thanks! This should make things work better.
Now, I have no avc errors with targeted after the relabeling process
that was automated through selections in system-config-securitylevel.
I'm back to having logs and running in enforcing mode vs permissive mode.

Jim

--
I allow the world to live as it chooses, and I allow myself to live as I
choose.