Recovering from disk damage after a system hang. Newbie question.

Douglas Furlong fedora-lists at dark-hill.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 16:19:16 UTC 2004

----- Message from robertcahn at rcn.com ---------    Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004
11:02:16 -0500    From: Bob Cahn <robertcahn at rcn.com>Reply-To: rcahn at ieee.org,
For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com> Subject: Recovering
from disk damage after a system hang. Newbie question.      To:
fedora-list at redhat.com

> My system froze.  The mouse didn't move.  All apps were unavailable.
> Eventually I hit the big red switch and when the system started
> rebooting I asked for the integrity check on the disks.  That came back
> with problems and aborted the reboot so I finally just allowed the
> system to reboot.  All seems normal but I think I still need to run a
> disk check to see what damage was done.  All disks are ext3. What
> programs (since I assume there must be several) can I use to check the
> system integrity?
>
> /Bob Cahn
Good day Bob.

Depending on which partition is coming up with problems (I am assuming
/ is the
problem), you may have to use the Rescue Disk to perform the check.

You are unable to repair (safely) file systems while they are mounted, this
causes problems for the / partition.

Put in your FCx CD 1 and boot from it, then use the rescue mode. When it asks
you to mount your system, you want to say no.

It will then take you to a command prompt, at this point in time you
want to run
fsck.ext3 -y /dev/<drive and partition when root is held>

This should tell fsck to check that partition assuming it is ext3, and answers
yes to all the questions.

Does this help?

--
Douglas Furlong