FC3: "No soundcards detected"

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 22 16:43:58 UTC 2004

M.Hockings wrote:

> Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> At least in my case, the soudcard detector couldn't find my card
>> beacause it's ISA. Anyway, since the system shows something there, it
>> seemed to be working somehow. So, I opened the sound mixer (KMix, in
>> KDE) and put all the volumes to the maximum and turned my speaker
>> volume up: there was it! I could hear the sounds!  What seemed to be
>> the problem is that for some obscure reason Fedora sets the volume
>> too low, and then we just don't hear it. (I tried Knoppix and the
>> sounds came out just right from the start.)
>>
>> Someone ought to fix this in a future release...
>>
>> Hope that helps you too,
>>
>> Gustavo.
>>

> Hi Gustavo,
>
> In my case I have the the volume control set to max.
>
> When I do the soundcard detection it just says that none are found,
> there is no inquiry to play a sound or if a sound was played.
>
> And for me too Knoppix works fine, as does Win98....
>
> Mike

Mike,

I think this problem with the soundcard detection is known. (I believe I
saw this issue in bugzilla.) That's because it doesn't work for ISA
devices, as I think your board (and mine) must be. However, Linux still
finds it, and cofigures it "correctly". In Knoppix, the soundcard
configuration tool has the same problem: it does't detect the ISA card.

Anyway, since Linux does find the board, and the drivers, this isn't
such a problem; and I'm sure there's someone working on that now.
However, I believe one shouldn't have to max out every setting just to
hear a sound on the computer! A good setting should give you audible
sounds at a low setting, sou that you can have some control over the
volume, don't you think? That's where I believe the ALSA driver has a
problem. The OSS diver used by Knoppix works fine.

Gustavo.

*Gustavo Seabra*
<http://www.ksu.edu/chem/personnel/faculty/grad/jvo/ortiz/people_seabra.html>
- Graduate Student