Disk Partiotioning

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 22 16:47:32 UTC 2004

Keith R. Evans wrote:

> If you use Logical Volumn manager (LVM), then you can automatically
> resize the partition. Parted is suppose to do it for you, but I do not
> have a lot of faith in the tool, so what I usually do is create a new
> partition with the size  I want, and copy the contents of the old
> partition to the new partition.  After creating the new partition,
> update your fstab with the new partition and reboot your system with
> the new partition replacing the old. You can then mount the old
> partition to a temporary mount point and drop it. Do not unmount the
> old because the system knows about it until the reboot when it will
> point to the new partition.  If it is not a critical partition like
> /var /boot /, /tmp, or swap, then you can just umount it and mount the
> new partition on the old mount point.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gustavo Seabra" <seabra at ksu.edu>

That was my second mistake ;-) I didn't use LVM... The way I saw it is,
since I only have one HD, why should I need LVM? Now, from your post, it
seems that LVM has advantages even for single HD, is that right?

By the way, since I didn't use LVM, and wat to increase the size of /
(root) taking space from /home, am I just screwed?

Thanks,