xscreensaver lockups?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 22 15:52:56 UTC 2004

donald szatkowski wrote:
> whatsizbucket at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> BTW, I use an ATI Radeon 9000 card with default stock drivers, since
>> there are no ATI drivers yet, and have a ViewSonic PS790.  I'm running
>> FC3.  And sorry for the top-post, I am in Windoze right now using a
>> web based mail client.  Ugh!
>>

>>> I'm going to figure that no matter what screensaver I get running, my
>>> system comes to a screeching halt after about 10 minutes and requires
>>> a reboot.
>>>
>>> My settings for xscreensaver are:
>>>
>>> 'Blank after' is set to 10 minutes, and 'cycle after' is set to 10
>>> minutes.  There are no values for Lock Screen after, and is grayed out.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> I have had the same problem with the following solution: I had to remove
> all G* files in the /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver folder. The first to
> give me problems was GFlux. After I removed these file all is working
> well. Hope this helps.
>
> Don

Seen the same problem in FC1.  Even had a problem with GLxx
screensavers in a session with a different screen resolution than the
default X server.  This is with an nVidia card.  I always had problems
with the ATI card in any session as I couldn't get them to work, even
with the ATI drivers.

Never spent much time looking into it other than disabling the GL
based screensavers.

--
Robin Laing