HAL, FC3, and a vanilla kernel. (desperate)

Emily Brantley located at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 22 17:22:18 UTC 2004

i started using a kernel from kernel.org because i hoped it would help
me get rid of some problems i was having with the kernel (which, since
then, i realize are in those kernels too) but since i have that kernel
so well configured for my system, i wish i could keep using it.

it works great.  all my devices are in perfect working order, every
module is being loaded, it's perfect.  the problem isn't with the
kernel.

when i use this kernel (and it doesn't seem to matter if it's one of
linus' or morton's (i haven't tried any others, it's too inconvenient on
dial up)), haldaemon doesn't seem to want to work correctly.  it doesn't
seem to be haldaemon's fault.  it's just that the kernel does sysfs a
little differently...

sorry, this is getting hard to explain.  let me be a little more
specific.  i have a couple of USB mass storage devices.  they work in
both kernels perfectly.  the devices are created (even following my
custom udev rules so the naming and symlinking is persistent).  i can
mount them myself.  but automatic mount points aren't being created like
they should !

i spent a really long time trying to figure out the problem, and i think
it's with sysfs.  with a _Fedora_ kernel, HAL finds info about each
storage volume under a path like this (this would be for my USB CD-RW):

linux.sysfs_path_device =
'/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:2.0/host0/0:0:0:0'

and the same USB CD-RW's info in a vanilla kernel seems to be in THIS
path:

/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:2.0/host1/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0

and HAL doesn't seem to be able to figure that out.  is that indeed what
the problem is ?  is HAL not looking in the right place ?  it's unaware
of the existence of these storage volumes even though they exist.  i
don't know how to make HAL look in the right place or if i need and
updated version or if i'm going in a totally wrong direction.  is
anybody else using a vanilla kernel with USB storage and not getting
automatic mountpoints ?

udev figures this out (which i can see from "udevinfo -a -p `udevinfo -q
path -n /dev/sr0`") !!  why not HAL ?
--
Emily Brantley <located at bellsouth.net>