Disk Partiotioning

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 22 17:46:31 UTC 2004

C. Linus Hicks wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 10:47 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>

>>That was my second mistake ;-) I didn't use LVM... The way I saw it is,
>>since I only have one HD, why should I need LVM? Now, from your post, it
>>seems that LVM has advantages even for single HD, is that right?
>>
>>By the way, since I didn't use LVM, and wat to increase the size of /
>>(root) taking space from /home, am I just screwed?
>>

>Not necessarilly, it depends mostly on your partition layout. What
>partitions have you defined - please give device (disk) names and mount
>points.
>
>If you are in a situation where you can either temporarily delete a
>partition after having backed it up, or shrink an existing one to create
>a new one, then you should have some options available to you.
>
>Do a "man resize2fs" and read that.

Sorry, I just found a way to get the info. Here is the result of df -h:
/dev/sda3             4.9G  4.2G  427M  91% /
/dev/sda1              99M   17M   78M  18% /boot
none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2              12G  683M   11G   7% /home

What I'd like to do is to take a couple of Gigs from /home and put them
into / (root). I believe I can backup and erase /home without problems,
but how can I put this space into root?

Thanks

*Gustavo Seabra*
<http://www.ksu.edu/chem/personnel/faculty/grad/jvo/ortiz/people_seabra.html>