Putting avi and mpeg movies into a single VCD

Jay Hidalgo jay_hidalgo at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 20:58:48 UTC 2004

>A. Lanza wrote:
>>I have an avi movie about 735 MB. in size and i'd like to convert it to
>>vcd format and burn it into a single CD.
>>
>>I've known that i can use tools like transcode, mplex and vcdimage... I
>>started transcoding the movie to SVCD format with transcode, and got two
>>files that, altogether, are larger in size than the original avi file.
>>When i use mplex in the next step limiting the size of the result file
>>to 700 MB. to fit a single CD, i get an error message telling that the
>>files are too large for this.
>>
>>I guess i have to transcode the original file in a way that i get a
>>smaller result files, but i have not been able to do it.
>>
>>I would appreciate some help.
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Alf
>

>I don't know if this will work.
>
>Looking at the situation, can you lower the original quality and use
>mencoder to convert.  I am not that familiar with VCD but I have been
>looking at shrinking some different videos down.  If the resolution is
>lowered a few %, maybe the VCD encoding will be able to compress it to a
>size that fits.
>
>I have also found that if you are going to burn close to the limits of a
>CD-R, do it at a very low speed.  I made a couple of cup holders a few
>weeks ago that were at the 700meg size.  At 2X I could burn working copies.
>  At anything higher, they were trash.  I used K3b to burn them.
>
>--
>Robin Laing

In my experience, CD-Rs only hold 80 minutes of VCD data. The size of the
file itself is no matter. So long as the VCD (MPEG-II format i believe) is
only 80 minutes long. There are several web pages available that show how to
burn a DVD to a VCD. Look into those, and apply the ideas to your problem.

Burn speed should be limited to < 8x, and high quality music cds tend to
work best in the dvd player.

Thanks,

Jay Hidalgo