targz and how to install

Chris Hewitt fedlist at manordata.uklinux.net
Mon Nov 22 21:03:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:36, yahya John Lorenzen wrote:
> Hello
>
> I neeed help to install tar.gz files on my computer.
>
> i have no idea about how to use terminal window so please show me some
> screenshots..
>
> f.ex. how do I install Licq???

John,

If you are running Fedora Core then you already have licq. Do a "which
licq" and it should come up with something like "/usr/bin/licq". If it
does not then you may not have it installed. On this FC1 system it is in
the licq-1.2.6-1.rpm.

Copy it from the CD into a directory and as root do "rpm -ivh
licq-1.2.3-1.rpm".

I would advise installing from rpm files whenever you can. These have
dependency and file layout information correct for FC. A site such as
http://www.rpmfind.net can be useful to find rpms for programs that do
not come with FC (and there are a lot with FC).

HTH
Chris