PXEboot / NFS install and rebooting.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 22 13:43:32 UTC 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 18:45, Neil Marjoram wrote:
> I am using PXEboot and NFS to install systems which all works very well.
>
> I would like to do full automated installs, and I have a little niggle -
> if I set the reboot option in the kickstart config, the server will of
> course reboot and the end of the install, and start all over again.
>
> Does anyone know of a way I can set something to stop the install
> starting again after the first one is completed ? I know I'm being
> really lazy and should start up the box and change the config, but
> sometimes this just doesn't happen!

I've thought about that from time to dime and so far haven't come up with
anything short of source-code changes to the DHCP server.

If you can conveniently start from floppy or other removable media, then
extracting disk and goingg out to lunch will work. You could call it a
working lunch.

It's a while since I kickstarted, but do you have to reboot? Could you perhaps
shutdown instead? Saves electros. Perhaps a shutdown command in %post?

Possibly you could work an update to anaconda to do it? Anaconda has code to
patch itself. I think all you need to do is put the update instructions in
the right place in your exported filesystem. Check the Anaconda code for
more; one way to take a peek is to boot the install media.

--
Cheers
John