Yup, it's definitely fedora's fault, not my hardware.

Randy toucan at tropicalrain.us
Tue Nov 23 02:43:48 UTC 2004

Hello,
    I had a problem very similar to yours, caused by how the hard drives
were set up.  For me, Fedora would boot just fine.  It would run for hours,
sometimes a day, and then lock up, usually during disk activity.  To top
that off, I saw a CD and DVD on the desktop, even though I only had a
single DVD ROM (and no CD ROM) connected.  When I would click on either
one, the system would lock up.

    Here's my setup, and how I fixed it.  On the primary IDE controller, I
had the drives set to master and slave.  On the secondary, the drive was
set to 'cable select'.  It was the master, and only drive, on that
controller.  These same drives worked just fine set as 'cable select' in
the past, when I had one HD on one controller and one CD on the other.
    The fix was to set the drive on the secondary IDE controller to
'master' instead of 'cable select'.  What is interesting is that the
phantom CD has disappeared, and the DVD only shows now when there is
something in the drive.  In addition, the lock-ups have disappeared.  I'm
not completely sure if this issue was completely hardware, or mostly
software, because I upgraded to FC3 AND changed some hardware around at the
same time.  (I know, bad idea).

    I hope this helps!

Randy