List etiquette question

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Tue Nov 23 03:54:01 UTC 2004

It's not a meeting it's a *community*. One that is lively, has many
participants and many different ways of doing things.

As long as everyone can understand everyone can't we just agree to disagree?

I'm on a lot of mailing lists (and have been for quite some time) and
while ppl get upset by things such as lame postings and auto-responders
(out of office) they never seem quite as militant as some of the ppl on
this list.

:-(

John Summerfield wrote:

> In any properly-run meeting, the most important (highest-priority) motions are
> those to do with the running of the meeting itself; how can you possibly make
> decision about whether to raise membership fees unless you're agreed on how
> to make the decision?
>
> Unlike a properly-run meeting, this list lacks a chairman with the power to
> evict the unruly, or a sargeant-at-arms to effect such a decision. However,
> in many respects a maling list is a special kind of meeting and we must have
> and agree to rules for its conduct.
>
> To an extent, those with the knowledge to impart and the esire to impart it
> have the edge over those lacking the knowledge; if we're sufficiently
> offended we can just leave.
you don't have enough knowledge to be pushing this crap :-(