Another Evolution 2.0.2 problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 23 13:36:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 08:06, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 07:48 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 02:58, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > > I seem to be having unexpected and unwanted actions being done by my
> > > filtering rules in Evo.
> >
> > Insert the stop processing action on each of your filters.  Once the
> > filter has triggered it will stop all processing from that point so none
> > of your other filters will process the message.
> >

> Ok, I can see that, and it does work.
> But it is still a little counter-intuitive that processing with other
> filters continues in some circumstances and not in others.
>
> Previously I have always depended on the order of the filters to
> determine what happens and the first match stopped any further
> processing. (That was when I was using mozilla mail.)

If you think of your filter list as an assembly line, each message
passes through each filter, if it triggers on that filter the action is
taken.  If there is no stop processing action in that filter the message
is passed along to the next filter for processing.  Most non-trivial
filter systems utilize a similar approach.  This permits very complex
actions to be created.  And sometimes you may want to have a filter that
takes some action when triggered but allow the message to proceed
through the rest of the filters.

In this case it is better to stop processing the message to prevent
duplicates and such from showing up because subsequent rules were
triggered.  Of course you need to review your filters to make sure a top
level filter prevents your other filters from never being used.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You have not converted a man because you have silenced him.
		-- John Viscount Morley