FC3 Firewall issue...

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Nov 23 15:32:02 UTC 2004

Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:

> John Burton wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> | So my question remains, on Fedora Core 3, with the security & firewall
> | as set by default in the initial installation, how do I open ports
> 5678,
> | 5679 and 990 for the PPP connection?
> |
> | John
> |

> You could use "system-config-securitylevel" and add the ports at the
> bottom. Don't forget to specify tcp: or udp: before the port numbers!

That seems to be broken, I have tried to sudo it a couple of times but it
comes up with some python errors. I was trying to open up tcp 139,445
and udp 137,138 to do some Samba shares, but ended up having to
disable iptables to get it to work.

> Alternatively, you can use the "setup" command line tool...

I will give that a try, I didn't know it was still around.

> Best,

Guy Fraser

There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you
will certainly discover things the meek and timid will miss out on.