media check

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Nov 23 15:46:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 08:37:29PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Sunday 21 November 2004 14:14, Rich Renomeron wrote:
> > FWIW, CDs 2, 3, and 4 failed the media checker, even though the MD5s
> > looked OK. ?So I went and installed from them anyway, and it appeard to
> > work fine. ?YMMV, though, especially since I'm not sure why they failed,
> > or where.
>
> I installed FC3 on a test machine today. I accidentally checked my DVD a
> second time. It passed the first time, failed the second.
>
> Hmph! i said, and installed it.

The media check is very dependent on the hardware. I have had a number
of CD-s that fail the media check on one piece of hardware but pass on
others. This is where ide=nodma is helpful.

Happiness adds and multiplies as we divide it with others.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.