Nvidia, Intel, and clout

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Tue Nov 23 16:09:44 UTC 2004

I've been on this list since early FC1, and Nvidia issues appear to be a
major problem area. I have no need for high end graphics as all the
Linux boxes we do are servers, so I've simply avoided the Nvidia
problems by not purchasing their products. I doubt Nvidia has notices
any decrease in sales on my account.

Now that Intel has struck a deal with Nvidia, it appears that the Linux
community is going to see even more issues as more MOBO's come equipped
with Nvidia chips.

As a community, can't we influence Nvidia to cooperate in driver
development to resolve these issues for the unfortunates that have
innocently encountered this stumbling block on the road to Linux
deployment? There was a time when Linux in general wasn't a major
player, but that time is long gone. Linux now has clout, and
straightening out the Nvidia problems may be the venue to exercise it.
It might also send a signal to other problem vendors that not
cooperating will have $$$ consequences.

Trade papers like Computer Reseller News, Infoweek, E-Week, etc.
regularly report on Linux, so why not give them an article that
factually portrays Nvidia issues in an attempt to "influence" Nvidia's
sales. If the Fedora Project were to put out a press release stating
their concerns the major publications would likely print it, and
purchasers could be better informed leading to fewer problems on this
list, happier end users, and lowered sales for Nvidia.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com