FC3 Install Help

Hiker Mike hikermike2 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:26:15 UTC 2004

I am a total Linux newbie. I run Windows2000 on my work system and I have an
extra 6 gb IDE hd to experiment with. I made isos of the FC3-i386 disks and
installed it solely in the blank IDE drive and not the SCSI drive where
everything else is. The problem is that I (thinK) I mistakenly configured
GRUB and told it to boot solely off SCA (where windows is) instead of
dev/hdd1 where the GRUB bootloader would have been installed. When I boot
now, it just goes straight to windows. I never got an option to make a boot
disk during the FC3 install. This is actually fine as I really would prefer
to boot Fedora solely off a boot disk instead of a boot loader at the
outset.

I tried downloading the RAWWRITE utility and making a disk from the
bootimage.img disk available in the ftp directories but that did not work -
it just said Boot Failed on a restart. I then tried booting again from FC-3
disk 1 and going into Linux Rescue. Bear in mind, I have not yet even been
into Fedora, configured anything, or even seen what it looks like. Using
instuctions gleaned from the web, I made myself root using chroot
/mnt/sysimage, typed uname -r to get the kernel info (2.6.9-1.667) , and
then typed mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.6.9-1.667. It prompted me to put a
disk in, standard warnings, and I hit enter but then get this error:
cp: writing '/tmp/mkbootsisk .MQc406/initrd.img': No space left on device
cat: write error: No space left on device
cat: write error: No space left on device
20+0 records in
20+0 records out

and it seems to be making the disk.

When I reboot with this disk, I get
syslinux 2.11 2004-08-16 etc...
Could not find kernal image: linux
boot:

Could I get a little help to get me on my way here?

Thanks!