how to make a sum of the installed iso files

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Nov 23 18:12:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 06:56:59PM +0100, yahya John Lorenzen wrote:
> I'm sorry I did not understand much of your mail.. md5sum *.iso was not
> something the terminal would read

There isn't much to understand. :)

[snip]
> [root at dhcppc0 root]# md5sum *.iso
> md5sum: *.iso: Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog

That's the right command, but I'm assuming (sorry; I'm linguistically
impaired) it's telling you "No such file or directory". Try it in the
directory which contains your actual downloaded .iso files.

Also, there's no need to be doing this as root. It's better do to most
operations as a normal user, and only use root when it's really needed. This
practice helps protect against viruses, and it also helps keep you from
accidentally shooting yourself in the foot.