Nvidia, Intel, and clout

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 23 18:27:40 UTC 2004

Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> I've been on this list since early FC1, and Nvidia issues appear to be a
> major problem area. I have no need for high end graphics as all the
> Linux boxes we do are servers, so I've simply avoided the Nvidia
> problems by not purchasing their products. I doubt Nvidia has notices
> any decrease in sales on my account.
>
> As a community, can't we influence Nvidia to cooperate in driver
> development to resolve these issues for the unfortunates that have
> innocently encountered this stumbling block on the road to Linux
> deployment? There was a time when Linux in general wasn't a major

 From my experiences, nVidia works better than ATI and supports Linux
much better.  I purchased an ATI for my new computer after checking
the ATI WWW site.  It wasn't until after almost a month of fighting to
get proper 3D support that I went and got an nVidia card.  Up and
running in less than 30 minutes with full 3D using the nVidia closed
source drivers.

Upgrading is simple and I have had no issues that I can contribute to
the video card.  ATI may be better now but I have had issues with ATI
on WinXP as well.

 From my experience, I would rather see nVidia than ATI succeed.  For
our cluster, we have used Tyan cards with on-board video.  No issues
as we only need vga support.

--
Robin Laing