Quick survey, multiple drives

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 20:17:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:57:15 -0500, Robert L Cochran
<cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Use SATA on a new motherboard if you have it. SATA offers higher
> throughput, the cables are far smaller, and on the better motherboards
> you get a bunch of SATA connectors -- mine has 4. You can buy a
> Highpoint RocketHead 100 serial ATA converter that converts your
> existing PATA drives to SATA. Fedora Core 3 sees the drives just fine
> because the right driver gets loaded at boot time by initrd.
>
> I most appreciate being able to get rid of the old, kludgy, wide ribbon
> cables. Even round IDE cables require more space and are less flexible
> than an SATA cable.

Bob

Hallelujah!  Sounds like an idea whose time has come.  Seagate and
Hitachi have both recently put out new 400GB, 7200rpm SATA drives.
Cant wait to get my hands on some of this new stuff.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/seagate-hard-drive-38254.html

Marc