FC3: Mesa and 'nvidia' driver

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Tue Nov 23 20:49:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 07:49 -0500, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> Alexander Volovics wrote:

> But if rpm thinks it's installed, then it will try to install updates.  If
> you enable automatic nightly yum it will overwrite the NVidia version.
>
> You can always re-install the NVidia manually to fix this, but it is
> annoying.  Any better solution welcome.

The correct solution, IMO, will be to repackage[1] the Nvidia driver as
two RPMs, a nvidia-kernel-driver-XXX.rpm and nvidia-libGL-XXX.rpm. The
nvidia-libGL-XXX.rpm will be equivalent to xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL (in other
words, it will provide libGL.so.1).

[1] Livna.org provided something like this but I never could rebuild the
rpm for the latest nvidia driver and the latest kernel, so I ended up
making my own nvidia-libGL rpm.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>