new FC3 installation unable to burn CD's

Joe Beach jbeach at mines.EDU
Tue Nov 23 21:10:13 UTC 2004

Hello,

I recently installed FC3 on my home desktop computer. It has an atapi
cdrw on hdc. I had been running FC2, and was able to burn CD's without
any problems. With the new FC3 installation, the nautilus CD creator
says that it is preparing to burn the CD, but it never does. Xcdroast
hangs when trying to scan for devices. A cdrecord -scanbus also seems to
hang. If I reboot back into FC2 (I have extra partitions so I can  dual
boot FC2/FC3 in case this sort of thing comes up), cd burning works
fine, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Also, I can read data
CD's (haven't tried audio) just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting CD burning to work? I am
considering removing the FC3 cdrecord package and replacing it with the
one from FC2 to see if that will help. Or, downloading the cdrecord
source from its home page and compiling it to try it out. I don't know
if it will run on an FC3 installation, though, since the fedora cdrecord
is modified.

Joe Beach