Nvidia, Intel, and clout

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 23 22:30:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:42:00 -0600
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:

> Do not give in to the Dark Side. Remember that what you want is better
> support, and to do that you vote with your dollars. Do not focus your
> primary goal on hurting Nvidia, since that gains you nothing and in fact
> loses you someone who does provide some support where others provide
> none.

Hi Rodolfo,

Some people like myself believe that the best support comes from open source.   While Nvidia and companies that take similar strategies are obviously not evil they're not the type of company that i'd support through purchases.

I'd much rather support companies like Intel that are going the extra mile.   While Intel don't have 3D products that compete head to head at the top level today they're by far good enough for my needs of Tux Racer and experimental 3D desktops.   Was so nice to install FC3 on a new machine and just have everything including accelerated 3D work out of the box.

I sure don't want to be left holding a Nvidia or new ATI card the day they decide not to provide binary drivers any more.   Seems like a risky investment where you have to stop upgrading your kernel or get a new video card.   Not a risk i'd be vocal in supporting for other people either.

Cheers,
Sean