install fail: configuring Kernel parameters

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 23 23:52:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Terry R. Grier wrote:

> > When you get the grub menu - try editing (e) - and remove 'rhgb',
> > 'quiet' options - and add '3' and boot (b) to console-only mode.
>
> is this durning installation ? or during the boot process?

During the boot process

> 2nd. I do not exactly know what the grub menu is.

When you start the boot process - the first thing you see is the grub
menu with the text 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'

When you see this hit 'e' for edit.

> > Now get the latest updates - and reconfigure your X (with
> > system-config-display)

> I thought I had the lastes with version 3.

every release has bugfix/security updates. Once you are able to
boot up - run the following (as root) to get the updates.

yum update

> What is X exactly?

gives you graphics (http://x.org/X11R6.8.1). The graphics card needs
to be configured corectly before any of the graphical stuff work.

> once I get to this flashing "cofiguring kernel paramenters" nothing I tpye
> matters>

The reason for this is - your graphics card is configured
incorrectly. (and the hang is a bug in fedora - fixed in one of the
updated packages)

> Please point me were to read .. or explain a little more basic?
> I am not trying to be ungratefull.. just honest.
> thank you

You need to grab a introductory book on linux. you might want to check
out this thread:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-October/msg05105.html

Satish